Navy Blue Chevron

Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2012

July 15, 2012



Opening Song: 
I Am a Child of God (p2)

Closing Song: Families Can Be Together Forever (p188)


Wiggle Songs: Hinges (p277), If You're Happy (p266)


Program Song: Nephi's Courage (p120) - 3rd verse
Review Songs: 
---------------------------------------------------
Identify the doctrine: Just like Nephi, the Lord asks us to keep His commandments. When we are tempted to make the wrong choice or think we can't choose right, we must be courageous like Nephi and say "I will go and do!".


Help the children understand it:
  1. 5 minutes - Sing Wiggle Songs (remind children that we can be silly but need to still be reverent in Heavenly Father's house).
Listening and Singing Experiences:

Junior/Senior Primary

  1. 10 minutes - Nephi's Courage 
  • We've been practicing Nephi's Courage, and we know the first 2 verses really well! Today we're going to practice the 3rd verse. Sing the 3rd verse to the kids (you can have teachers sing with you if you don't want to sing alone). While you sing, ask the kids to listen for how many times you sing "I" (10 times). 
  • Teach the kids the sign for "I" (point to your chest); tell them that every time we sing "I" to point to themselves. Sing verse together.
  • Next teach kids actions, line by line. Remind them to point to themselves whenever we sing "I"
    "The Lord gives us commandments" (hands like a book, commandments are in scriptures)
    "and asks us to obey" (point finger in like a parent would while scolding)
    "Sometimes I am tempted to choose another way" (both palms up, lift one and then the other as though you're weighing the options)
    "When I'm discouraged" (hold your head with one hand, like you have a headache or feeling down)"and think I cannot try" (shake your head "no")
    "I will be courageous and I will reply" (show off your muscles!)
  • The kids know the chorus.
  • Repeat a couple times. To keep kids attentive, you can have them stand up, march around the room, sing boys vs girls alternating by line, Jr primary vs. Sr. primary alternating by line, etc). I also have "how to sing" sticks in a file folder you can use as well. Do what's most comfortable for you.
  • Sing the entire song (verses 1-3). Use the storybook flipchart. 
     2.   Fast finisher - Songs of the Heart (Choose songs from striped purple/red box)


Nursery (following singing time, go into Nursery and sing the following songs with them)
  1. Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam
  2. Give Said the Little Stream
  3. I Feel My Savior's Love
  4. I Love to See the Temple
  5. Families Can Be Together Forever
  6. I Am a Child of God

No comments:

Post a Comment