Navy Blue Chevron

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2013

January 13, 2013

Opening Song: He Sent His Son (p34-35) - use flipchart
Closing Song: I Lived in Heaven (p4) - no flipchart

Program Song: I Am a Child of God (p2) - verses 2-3
Wiggle Songs: Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam (p60)
                         Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes (p275)
---------------------------------------------------
Identify the doctrine: I am a child of God. God is my Heavenly Father. He knows and loves me. He wants me to understand His words and follow His plan.

Help the children understand it:
Our Heavenly Father wants us to understand His words and follow His plan. Today we're going to keep learning the new verses to I Am a Child of God.

Listening and Singing Experiences:

Junior Primary

I Am a Child of God
  1. Place flipchart photos for verse 2, phrases 2-3 on the board face down.  (Do ahead of time using magnets)
  2. Tell the children that our Heavenly Father knows that we have many needs - what are some of the things we need? When children say one of the items on the board, flip it over. Guide them as necessary with prompts. (home, food, family, "understand His words" - the photo of the family at FHE is to represent both "family" and to "understand His words" or learn the Gospel. Sing phrases 1 and 2 (I am a child of god, and so my needs are great). 
  3. One of then needs we have is to "understand His words". Sing phrases 3-4 (help me to understand His words, before it grows too late) to the children using pitch leading. Ask the children where we can learn God's words. When children say one of the items on the board, flip it over. Guide them as necessary with prompts. (prophet, scriptures, priesthood blessings, prayer, Primary)
  4. Sing verse 2 twice.
Wiggle Song: Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam (just to break it up, sing once)
                      
Review
  1. Place footprints in a circle on the floor. 
  2. Tell the children that under each footprint is a song about how we can "understand His words" and follow His plan. I'll ask one child at a time to come and play a sort of musical chairs.
  3. Ask the pianist to play the chorus of "I Am a Child of God", when she stops playing whichever footprint the child is standing on is the song we'll sing.
    • Book of Mormon Stories
    • Keep the Commandments
    • Stand for the Right
    • Follow the Prophet
    • Search, Ponder and Pray
    • Nephi's Courage
    • Verse 2 of I Am a Child of God
    • Families Can Be Together Forever
    • I Love to See the Temple
Senior Primary

Wiggle Song: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

I Am a Child of God
  1. Ahead of time: Ask to go second for music time to give time to write verses 2-3 (verse 4 if time and space) on chalkboard (leaving blanks for word strips). Don't write the chorus.
    • Write "I Am a Child of God" at the top since we always start singing that phrase.
    • 2nd verse: 
      • "and so my needs are" _______
      • "help me to understand" _______
      • "before it grows" ________
    • 3rd verse:
      • "rich blessings are in" _______
      • "if I but learn to do" ________
      • "I"ll live with Him" ________
    • 4th verse
      • "His promises are" _______
      • "Celestial glory shall be" _______
      • "If I can but" _______
  2. Hand out the word strips to the Sr. Primary (multiple to each child). Sing each phrase on the board and when a child thinks they have the missing word/phrase, invite them to put it on the board using a magnet.
  3. To practice, erase words off the board and continue singing! Challenge the children to sing verse 2-3 without any words on the board (and verse 4 if there's time)!
  4. Teach them "I Know My Father Lives" using the flipchart and pitch leading.
Nursery (following singing time, go into Nursery and sing the following songs with them)
  1. Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam
  2. Give Said the Little Stream
  3. I Feel My Savior's Love
  4. I Love to See the Temple
  5. Families Can Be Together Forever
  6. I Am a Child of God

No comments:

Post a Comment