Navy Blue Chevron

Search This Blog

Friday, December 30, 2011

January 1, 2012

I'm trying a new format for my lesson plans! 

Opening Song: I Will Be Valiant (p 162)
Closing Song: Keep the Commandments (p 146)

Identify the doctrine: Heavenly Father gave me the power to choose. The Holy Ghost will help me to make good choices. Good choices bless my family and me. As a Child of God, new song in Outline.

Help children understand it: 
  1. Attention Getter:
    One of my favorite super heroes is Superman (show S on shield). I like him because he has an amazing power. Put your hand on your head if you know what power Superman has (power to fly). I have always wanted to have the power to fly. I would fly around the world and visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris (show picture). Think to yourself, what power would you want to have? Whisper to your teacher what power you would want. 
  2. Instruction:
    You are a child of God. And because Heavenly Father loves you so much, He sent you to earth with a special power. Now this power is different from the power to fly - it is far more valuable AND important. Ask one of the older children to read 2 Nephi 2:27 - highlighted this part: "Wherefore men are free...to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men." Before he/she reads the verse: Listen for what power Heavenly Father has given each of you. When you hear it, raise your hand. Whisper to your neighbor what power you have been given. Call upon one of the kids to answer out loud (the power to choose). Show the CTR shield.
  3. Listening and Singing Experiences:
    I know a song about the power to choose. This song says that there is a special light given to us. Listen to find out what that special light is, fold your arms when you hear the answer. Sing the first verse and chorus. Ask what the special light is (the Holy Ghost).

    I'm going to sing the chorus again, this time I want you to listen for rhyming words. Put your hands on your elbows when you hear the rhymes. Ask what the rhyming words are (light, right). This time, sing the chorus with me. What actions could we use for "light" and "right"? Decide upon the actions and sing the chorus again with the actions.

    There is something very important that we do that blesses our families and us. I'm going to sing the first 2 lines, when you hear what it is, quietly stand up. Ask what it is we do (make good choices). What actions could we use for "power to choose" and "me and my family, too"? Decide upon the actions and sing the first 2 lines with those actions (still standing).

    Sit down. Let's sing the whole song with actions, and when we come to the chorus, stand up! 
Help them apply it in their lives: I bear testimony that Heavenly Father gave us the power to choose. The Holy Ghost is like a light and helps us make right choices. I challenge each of you to listen to the Holy Ghost so that you can make right choices. Next Sunday, we are going to talk about some of the good choices you made this week. We are blessed when we make right choices with feelings of peace and happiness.

Fast Finisher: Sing the boys' favorite songs. (Next week we'll sing the girls')

No comments:

Post a Comment