Navy Blue Chevron

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 8, 2012

Second go with "As a Child of God" (it will be similar to last week, repeating since there were only 5 kids)

Opening Song: I'm Trying to be Like Jesus (p 78)
Closing Song: Search, Ponder and Pray (p 109)

Wiggle Songs: If You're Happy (p 266), Head/Shoulders/Knees and Toes (p 275)

Program Song:  As a Child of God, new song in outline

Identify the doctrine
: Heavenly Father gave me the power to choose. The Holy Ghost will help me to make good choices. Good choices bless my family and me.

Help children understand it:
  1. Attention Getter
    • Another one of my favorite superheroes is Spiderman. He has this amazing power to shoot webs and swing from building to building. But as cool as that power is, I have an even better power.
  2. Instruction
    • You are a child of God. Because Heavenly Father loves you so much, He sent you to earth with a special power. It is the power to Choose the Right (hold up the CTR shield). Yesterday, I used my power to choose the right by choosing to help my husband put away our Christmas boxes. I also used my power to choose the right by choosing to read my scriptures before going to bed. Fold your arms when you know an answer to this question: How did you choose the right yesterday? Call upon those children who want to share how they chose the right.
  3. Listening and Singing Experiences:
    • Last week we learned the first verse to a special song about the power we have to choose the right. I'm going to sing it for you. If you know the words, you can sing along. As we sing, I want you to listen for WHO helps us use our power to choose the right. When you hear the answer, cross your feet. Sing the first verse and chorus. Call upon someone to answer.
    • I'm going to sing the chorus again, this time I want you to listen for rhyming words. Put your hands on your elbows when you hear the rhymes. Ask what the rhyming words are (light, right). This time, sing the chorus with me. What actions could we use for "light" and "right"? (Ask Alissa if they came up with actions last week). Decide upon the actions and sing the chorus again with the actions.
    • There is something very important that we do that blesses our families and us. I'm going to sing the first 2 lines, when you hear what it is, put your hands on your knees. Ask what it is we do (make good choices). What actions could we use for "power to choose" and "me and my family, too"? (Ask Alissa about last week's actions) Decide upon the actions and sing the first 2 lines with those actions.
    • Let's sing the whole song with the actions. 
Help them apply it in their lives: I testify that we have the power to choose the right. The Holy Ghost helps us make the right choices. This week I want you to share with your mom or dad 2 things that you do to choose the right, we'll talk about it next week!

Songs of the Heart: One of my favorite Primary songs is called My Heavenly Father Loves Me. I want to know what YOUR favorite songs are. I am going to give each of you a heart. With your teachers' help, I want you to write your name on one side and your favorite Primary song on the other. When you are finished, I want you to bring it up and put it in my Songs of the Heart can.

Fast Finisher: Songs of the Heart





1 comment:

  1. Didn't have time to prepare the hearts for Songs of the Heart today. Introduced the idea, and we sang a few of the kids favorite songs. I'll have the hearts prepared for next week.

    ReplyDelete