Navy Blue Chevron

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 10, 2013

March 24, 2013


Opening Song: Did Jesus Really Live Again? (p64)
Closing Song: Jesus Has Risen (p70)

Program Song: If the Savior Stood Beside Me (2013 outline, binder)
Easter Song: He Sent His Son (p34)
Wiggle Songs: If You're Happy (p266)
---------------------------------------------------
Identify the doctrine: Heavenly Father sent His Son Jesus to teach and to show us how to return to live with Them. Jesus Christ taught the gospel and set an example for us. We should follow Him in what we do, how we think, and how we live, what we say and how we share the Gospel.

Listening and Singing Experiences:

Junior Primary/Senior Primary


Sing a wiggle song! (1 minute)

If the Savior Stood Beside Me - 2013 outline, binder
Lesson plan from Sugardoodle
(15 minutes total)

Materials:
* 2 pictures of the Savior (included with the keyword posters)
If the Savior Stood Beside Me Keyword Posters Verse 1 (4 pieces of paper, all the same color, that have a large question mark on one side. On the opposite side write one of the keywords on each paper. Keywords are: do, think, follow, live.)
*If the Savior Stood Beside Me Keyword Posters Verse 2 (keywords: say, words, share, speak)
* Sign language for the 8 keywords (do, think, follow, live, say, words (could include true and kind), share, speak). Simplified ASL
* Magnets
* Picture sticks
* Chalk & eraser 
* Wordstrips (on construction paper): He, Him, He, His, I’ll, I, I’d, I.
  1. Review verse 1-2. Sing both verses using actions. Post pictures.
  2. Note: this lesson is divided into 2 parts, since my Jr and Sr primaries will be combined, the first half is geared for Jr and the second half for Sr.
  3. Tell the children the 3rd verse is a special verse. It's not the same as the other 2 verses. The first part of the verse talks about how Jesus is always near us even though we can't see him. Then the last part of the verse says "I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be if I could see the Savior standing next to me". Remind them how each of us would probably act a lot better if Jesus was always standing right next to us.
  4. Pass out props (sticks). Tell the children expectations: the props are to be held this way, we keep them to ourselves, etc. 
  5. Sing the song using the sticks, showing the kids with my own stick what to do. Sing 2 more times, the children joining in when they can:
    • He is always near me: Hold picture of Jesus in front of you.
    • Though I do not see him there: Put picture behind your back.
    • And because He loves me dearly: Hold picture at your heart.
    • I am in His watchful care: Hold picture at chest with 2 hands, like you're hugging the picture.
    • So I'll be the kind of person: Flip stick to the picture of child.
    • That I know I'd like to be: Raise picture up into air as the notes go up on "know I'd like to be" (like they are growing up and getting taller)
    • If  I could see the Savior standing nigh: Flip the picture back to Jesus, bringing it slowly down in front of you.
    • Watching over me: Move picture slowly back up in the air, one note at a time (watch---ing---o---ver---me) This will help the children remember the ending is different.
  6. Senior focused review (Jr Primary can participate as much as possible, still using sticks to practice): Before singing time, write on the board the words of the 3rd verse, leaving blanks for wordstrips (He, Him, His, I'll, I, I'd, I). Have the wordstrips on the board in random order. Board should look like this:
    ______is always near me, though I do not see ______there, and because _____ loves me dearly, I am in ______ watchful care. So _____ be the kind of person that _____ know ______ like to be if ____ could see the Savior standing nigh, watch---ing---o---ver me------.
  7. Show the children the chalkboard and wordstrips. Tell the children you will sing the 3rd verse together and they are to listen and figure out which wordstrips go in which blanks. Sing the verse (Jr can use their sticks). Ask for 2 volunteers to fill in 2 of the wordstrips. Sing the phrases again to be sure they were right. Repeat with 2 new volunteers. There will be 1 wordstrip left, just add it to the board. 
  8. Time permitting, invite Jr. primary to erase words off the board and sing through a couple more times.
He Sent His Son - p34
(5 minutes total)

Materials:
  1. Remind children that we're singing NEXT week! Also remind them that we will be in our old building and church starts at 9:30am.
  2. Quickly review the Super Singer poster.
  3. Sing through the song 2-3 times.

Nursery (following Jr. singing time, go into Nursery and sing the following songs with them)
  1. Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
  2. Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam
  3. I Love to See the Temple
  4. Families Can Be Together Forever
  5. I Am a Child of God

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen!
    I grew up in SM2, but I don't think we've met. I'm the Bennions' oldest & have been living across the country. I just received this calling & have never served as Primary chorister before, so when I was asking for advice Jennifer Hammer told me about your blog. It's amazing! You're so organized! I can tell you put a lot of thought & prayer into magnifying your calling. I plan on visiting often! Thank you for sharing your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your note! Sorry I haven't been updating as of late! Getting close to my due date! (2 weeks) I'll be out of commission for the summer, but I'll be back in August! :)

    ReplyDelete