Navy Blue Chevron

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 29, 2012

Opening Song: A Child's Prayer (p12)
Closing Song: I Love to See the Temple (p95)

Wiggle Songs: Fun to Do (p253), I Wiggle (p271)

Program Song: As a Child of God, new song in outline

Identify the doctrine: Heavenly Father gave me the power to choose. The Holy Ghost will help me make good choices that bless me and my family.

Help children understand it:
  1. Attention Getter:
    • Have household cleaning items displayed on the table (behind the mess on the floor, have a bucket to put toys in under the table), toys and books on the floor, after making a mess, sit down and pretend to watch TV. Have one of the kids pretend to be my mom in asking me to clean my room. I'll say no. The parent picks them up. Have them ask me to help with the dishes. I'll say no. The parent asks me to do the dishes, I'll say no. Etc. Carry on until the kids get the picture. 
  2. Instruction:
    • Then ask the "parent" how they felt when I kept saying no. 
    • What should I have done differently? 
    • Talk about how even the small things we do are acts of service.  
    • What are other ways we can serve our family?
    • Our families are strengthened by our service. We should serve happily.
  3. Listening and Singing Experiences
    • Sing the third verse, showing the pictures.
    • Sing the verse together. Sing it several times in different ways (starting soft and getting louder, in a funny voice, boys vs. girls)
    • Put third verse in the poster. Sing covering up different pictures to "quiz" their memory.
    • Sing all verses together (put pictures up on the board with magnets for 1st and 2nd verses)
Help them apply it in their lives: This week I challenge each of you to serve your families at least once a day! I promise you that if you do, your family will be happier and you will be strengthened as a family.

Songs of the Heart: Ask the teachers and leaders to write down their Songs of the Heart. If the kids have more songs, they can add hearts as well. Sing Songs of the Heart (put used ones in a ziplock until all hearts have been used, then put back in) until it's time to close.

1 comment:

  1. So...found out the day of that we are separating Junior and Senior primary for Sharing Time. Lol. A little improvisation was needed...

    Junior Primary - our sunbeams joined us for the first time. We learned the first verse with hand actions and the pictures. Well, sort of learned it.

    Senior Primary - I have the song's lyrics cut into word strips. I jumbled them on the floor. They had to put the first and second verses in order on the board. They had to sing it to remember the order. Perfect. Learned the 3rd verse by talking about the doctrine behind it. Used the example of how exercise (work) strengthens our muscles (family). Kids loved it. We sang the verse a few times through, and sang the entire song as the Junior Primary filed back in for Closing Exercises.

    ReplyDelete